These women came from all walks of life, and their struggles and realizations took many forms. Exploring these poems connects us to the challenges and opportunities of our own lives, and the ways these insights are relevant to us today.
We will be teaching primarily from ‘The First Free Women’ by Matty Weingast.
Please Note: Retreatants are encouraged to keep 5 Precepts for the entire length of this retreat.
The Five Precepts:
1. Not intentionally killing or harming any living creatures.
2. Not stealing, or concerning oneself with the possessions of others.
3. Not engaging in sexual activity of any kind.
4. Not lying or using speech harmfully. (On retreat this precept is usually observed as Noble Silence–keeping the silence unless there is a practical necessity to speak.)
5. Not taking intoxicating drink or drugs.